Tuesday, November 1, 2011

How Much Wood?

How much wood can a lumberjack chop if she has never chopped wood? A LOT!

After a few years of buying cords of wood to heat our house in the winter, we decided to pull tags and cut our own. Neither Robert or I had ever felled a tree much less chopped and hauled cords before. So we packed up the kids, the dog, some lunch and headed to the mountains.

I have to say it was a blast. I know I am a bit odd but I just loved it. It was so invigorating working out doors. The excitement and danger of felling trees was a huge contrast to the usual homestead work I am used to. It was thrilling.




Poor Rob couldn't get the chainsaw away from me. In actuality, it was all we could do to get it all done. It is amazing how much muscle it takes to get that power saw through a tree.

The kids loved it to and ran and played tag in the trees all day. Dirt, sticks and woodland flora are very underrated as playthings and I think boxes of sticks, dirt and pine cones might just be under my Christmas tree!



We hauled 6 foot logs home and I spent the next two weeks chopping and stacking 5 cords of wood.



The wood shed was packed so I had to make a second stack on the side of the house. I get all excited everytime I see it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment